Book It!


In the world of the Internet and e-readers (thanks for that Kindle Santa), I'm beginning to wonder how much longer hard copies of books, magazine, etc. will be appreciated. Will the next generation simply be so used to downloading information without a thought of picking up a hard copy??

With that said, I start this series, highlighting why old hard copies are irreplaceable. Unfortunately, most books these days are pressed in such a hurry that the packaging and preludes just aren't compelling. That's why old books will be the main focus in this series. I hope to squeeze some new ones here and there.

This first book is called "One Hundred Favorite Foreign Recipes" by Marion Stewart. It's on loan from my friend Lucy, one of the nicest people I know. The book is battered and dirty, an obvious sign that it was put to good use. There's even a few food stains on the pages. I wonder how many people were entertained with these very recipes. What was the owner's favorite? How many cooks have used these recipes? Why is it that everything these days is so much simpler to make than it was back then? I guess our laziness has made us slaves to preservatives and microwave ovens.

This book throws together a collection of recipes, in the order that the ingredients are in season in California. Of course, most recipes are much more difficult than I care to attempt, but this book fits today's notion of eating locally, if you have the patience to concoct these selections.

Ms. Stewart takes the time to describe why each dish is important to its country of origin and then briefly explains why it works for her family. I love that she doesn't simply list ingredients and directions. She writes them out in her own words. And you'll be convinced that every dish could be your new favorite. Her passion for food and complicated techniques makes me wonder of her relation to another M. Stewart.


RSS Digg Twitter StumbleUpon Delicious Technorati